Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Driving for show, putting for dough


Any golfer knows that the saying "You drive for show, putt for dough" is a good epitome of how  the game works. You may be able to smash the ball 350 yards off the tee but if you can't put the ball in the hole with your putter, then all that power is not worth a lick. 


That is sometimes how I feel while searching for creative suppliers. Many have lots of glitz and glamour on their websites, but they lack the functionality or information to actually make me send them an email regarding their services. As a marketer I know exactly what I am looking for and I know that any semblance of a reasonable marketing savvy designer should know this when designing their website. Know your target, the majority of people hiring creative companies have marketing or business backgrounds and don't want to spend too much time having to surf through your site to find what they are looking for. They will just leave. Basic things, like a listing of your services, should be included. Just a portfolio page will not suffice.

Now that being said, I also won't waste my time with a website that is complete text and is not visually appeasing. So I guess what i'm saying is you have to Drive and Putt for my dough.

No comments: